If you are a COM395ehyb student at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Spring 2017, you’ll need to know how to get started blogging. Here’s how:
- Create a WordPress.com account. If you don’t already have one, click on this link. You should use your Embry-Riddle email address when signing up.
- Create a Public Display Name that I will recognize for grading posts. This means you should use your first and last names or your first name and last initial or at least the first few letters of your last name.
- Check your email to activate your account.WordPress will send you an email with a link to click in order to activate your account.
- Email me your WordPress.com account info. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know that you’ve signed up. Include the email address you used for WordPress.com. (It’s recommended that you use your Embry-Riddle address to make everything simpler.)
- Visit the blog after about a day and create your first entry. Log in with your WordPress.com account. You will now see a toolbar at the top of the page. Click on My Blog | New Post. Use this post to briefly introduce yourself to the class and describe how you use social media on a typical day. You may also choose to describe a recent experience that you’ve had on social media. Include an original image in the post. An example of an original image would be a photo of yourself or an image that you created. For each of your blog entries, select a Title, Category and some Tags. For your first entry, choose the category “Introduction.” You can tag your entry as your see fit: just pick a couple of keywords (say, “social media, texting, Facebook”.) When you’re done, click Publish.
- Create accounts on the following sites: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Hootsuite (a popular social media management tool for professionals), and Canva (very handy visual design tool for social media).
- Join the COM395 Facebook Group. Click here to add yourself to this group.
NOTE: You are to post to the course blog–not your own blog. This may be a bit confusing the first time. Check here to make sure you’ve posted to the correct location.
The introductory blog post serves to insure that you’re able to access and post on the blog, categorize and tag your posts, and include your own images. Further, it helps us to learn about each other.